The Canadian Association of Optometrists (CAO) recommends that infants undergo their first eye exam between 6 to 9 months of age, and preschool children have at least one eye exam between 2 and 5 years of age. School age children (6-19 years old) should have their eyes examined yearly to ensure good vision in school. Adults between 20 and 64 years old should have eye exams every 2 years, and yearly after 65 years old. Even if you don’t normally need vision correction, you still need to get regular eye exams. Doctors often recommend more frequent examinations for adults with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other disorders, because many disease can have an impact on vision and eye health.
When you arrive at Village Optical for your comprehensive eye exam, expect us to determine your prescription for glasses or contact lenses, check your eyes for eye diseases, and evaluate how your eyes function together. We will also assess your overall health by checking your eyes.
Eye Care for Adults and Children
How Often Do You Need to See the Optometrist, Based on Age?
The COA also recommends an annual eye exam for any adult who wears eyeglasses or contacts. If you don’t normally need vision correction, you still need an eye exam every year. Doctors often recommend more frequent examinations for adults with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other disorders, because many diseases can have an impact on vision and eye health.
If you are over 40, it’s a good idea to have your eyes examined every one to two years to check for common age-related eye problems such as presbyopia, cataracts, and macular degeneration. Read more about Vision After 40.
Because the risk of eye disease continues to increase with advancing age, everyone over the age of 60 should be examined annually. Read more about Vision After 60.
Winnipeg, MB R2M 3T2
- Phone: (204) 253-9219
- Fax: (204) 256-3537
- Monday: 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 7:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
- Please contact us with any questions you might have.
- Plenty of free parking available.
- The clinic and optical dispensary are on the ground floor for easy patient access.
- Closed Saturdays in July and long weekends
- Closed on statutory holidays, Terry Fox Day, Remembrance Day and Boxing Day
- Open 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Saturdays in August